Quantcast Data Insights Canada Holiday Deck 2020 Economic Overview & Key Holiday Trends
Our recovery journey so far:
- Employment continues to recover to expected pre pandemic levels.
- Certain industries have recovered better than others.
- Categories associated with living and working from home had significant YoY growth.
- Younger Canadians are expected to spend less and save more.
- Home furnishing, clothing, and sporting/hobby goods consumer shift towards e-commerce.
- Consumers shift away from cash transactions.
Steady recovery in employment since pandemic peak Seasonally adjusted employment by sector of month
Employment hit its lowest point in April, but has since recovered to 94% of expected pre-pandemic levels.
This has been buoyed by government transfers to households which in some instances have exceeded lost income, resulting in an increase 10.8% in disposable income.
In general, both service and goods producing sectors have been equally affected by COVID-19.